Get A Facebook Badge

Friday, April 22, 2011

Interview: Debbie Sardone, Author of Barternomics

Interview: Debbie Sardone, Author of Barternomics

Interview: Debbie Sardone, Author of Barternomics

Book Title:Debbie Sardone
Barternomics

Website URL:
http://thebarternomicsbook.com

Social Media Links:
Facebook: http://facebook.com/barternomics

What is your book about?

Barternomics is the most entertaining and insightful book you’ll read on how to fund your business start up, pay those business bills or fund your expansion project. I’ve had Lasik eye surgery on barter, I funded my daughters beautiful wedding on barter, and given my employees benefits using barter. So easy you won’t believe it!

What inspired you to write your book?
I wanted to share my story of how barter rescued my failing business when tough economic times threatened to undermine all that I’d worked for. Barter paid for my marketing, printing, the CPA, employee perks and more when there was no other way possible.

How did you come to do what you’re doing today?
I’ve owned one of the largest maid services in the country for nearly 30 years, but success did not come easy. Starting the business out of the trunk of my car I quickly graduated from the school of hard knocks. We now gross over a million dollars in annual sales and have more than 40 employees.

Can you describe a typical day in your life?
As an absentee owner, I spend my days working from home as a full time business consultant (to other maid service owners). I also have the privilege of speaking at conferences and holding my own seminars and conferences (on how to grow your residential cleaning business). But I’m most proud of the nonprofit I started 5 years ago that has gained unprecedented attention nation wide and has been mentioned on Oprah, ABC, NBC, CBS, & Fox News. At the Cleaning For A Reason foundation, we recruit maid services all over the country to give away free housecleaning to women battling cancer. In less than 5 years we’ve recruited over 850 cleaning companies in all 50 states. Over 4,000 women have received our help, totaling over 1 MM in donated services!

These are my businesses, all still in operation:

www.cleaningforareason.org
www.themaidcoach.com
www.bucketsandbows.com
www.thecleanteam.com

What do you most enjoy about what you do?
I love helping others in business and in life, sharing and teaching what I learned the hard way. I love solving problems, creating systems, and inspiring others to believe they can achieve.

Are there any people and/or books that have inspired you along your journey?
Many, too many to do justice, but here goes:

People:
My father-in-law Ron Sardone
Oprah Winfrey
Benjamin Franklin

Books:
E-Myth
Good To Great
Blue Ocean Strategy
Developing The Leader Within
Get Booked!
Leap! (of course!)

Can you share some business tips for our readers?
Marketing is 100 times more important than you think
Perfectionism in business is dysfunction, not quality
Never solve the same problem twice, create a system for it
Read good books on business continually
Working hard does not guarantee your success, but working smart will

Can you share something that people might be surprised to learn about you?
Even though I work long hours with so many businesses, I love sailing with my husband of 33 years, and we both have a motorcycle!

No comments: